The Medical Association for Prevention of War (Australia) is a professional not-for-profit organisation that works to promote peace and disarmament. MAPW aims to reduce the physical and psychological impact, as well as environmental effect of wars throughout the world. MAPW has branches in every State and Territory in Australia.
MAPW is the Australian affiliate of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNWi). This international federation has affiliates in 58 countries and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1985. In 1986, during the International Year of Peace, MAPW was chosen by the Government to receive one of the Australian Peace Awards, presented by then Prime Minister Bob Hawke.
Since its foundation in 1981, MAPW has been a strong voice in the work to eliminate weapons of mass destruction, promoting the use of resources for human and environmental well-being rather than the acquisition of armaments. We promote solutions through research, consultation, advocacy, education and partnerships.
MAPW is independent of all political parties. MAPW’s core funding comes from its members, who determine its policies.
Your support enables us to:
- Educate: MAPW seeks to educate medical professionals and the broader public on the health consequences associated with war and conflict.
- Advocate: MAPW urges governments and other decision-makers in Australia to seek alternatives to armed conflict and to allocate funds to the advancement of human health and welfare. We are in regular contact with federal parliamentarians, and state and local governments when appropriate.
- Respond: MAPW responds to current events, such as the 'war on terror' and new weapons developments. We provide regular public commentary on a range of issues.
- Network: MAPW works closely with other health organisations and with many other organisations around the world sharing our goals.
- Research: As an IPPNWi affiliate, MAPW supports research on a range of subjects that relate to war and peace.
- "What does MAPW do?" This one-page flyer describes our activities over the past year (regularly updated) and is a useful hand-out for potential members. It can also be downloaded with a membership form on the back.
Key contacts: Office phone 03 9023 1958; mobile 0431 475 465; fax 03 9662 2619; post PO Box 1379 Carlton, Victoria, 3053; email mapw [at] mapw [dot] org [dot] au. More details on our contacts page.